Citizens of Upright Moral Character

Smokin'

image

Arnie from a 1970's documentary, smoking a joint at a party
from an Arnold for Governor T-shirt

Moral Citizen: evil-barry on Oct 08, 03 | 8:32 pm | Profile
[53] Trackbacks | [0] Pingbacks | Link | Email Article

COMMENTS

"things are getting better. I can feel it."

-beck

Posted by: evil-barry on Oct 08, 03 | 9:50 pm

"I admire Hitler's rise to power."

- Governor Schartzenegger

"Kurt Waldheim is a close family friend."

- Governor Schartzenegger

Posted by: Slothrop on Oct 09, 03 | 6:05 am

normally, i would be highly supportive of a joint-smoking governor, but not when he's going to be a tool of Pete Wilson's army.
Anyone want to take any bets on how long it is before we run out of food, electricity, and water?

Posted by: pibor on Oct 09, 03 | 8:57 am

So what do you think Arnold will do that will effect your lives in such a negative way?

I could never vote for him, Republican or not, but why do you guys dislike him so much?

Posted by: Jacques Vanderdreschd on Oct 09, 03 | 9:54 am

there's a few reasons.
One, his rise to power has been based on no plan or substance. The few philosphies and ideas he has presented create an unworkable paradox (balance the budget, no new taxes, repeal the car registration increase, and no cutting from the by-far largest portion of the budget, education), unless he has some sort of extremely clever plan that he isn't sharing.
Two, his campaign recieved large amounts of coverage simply because he's a celebrity. Three, he has no experience in this arena, and will be surrounded by people who potentially could use him as a tool for their own agendas -ie he won't actually be a leader.
Four, the voters behind him seem to be really angry about something but I'm not exactly sure what.
Five, I do not believe him when he says he is connected to the people. He drives LA freeways completely sheltered in a Humvee Military vehicle. He has not been able to interact with the public in any normal way for at least 10 years becuase he is a major celebrity. His lifestyle is so completely removed from the norm, there is no way he knows anything about "the people."
Six, he says totally stupid shit like he's at a high-school pep rally, when he's actually running for governor - a very serious position.
Seven, his "behind the scenes" people are highly conservative and will continue to attempt so-called free-market reforms that have lead to the current mess: energy and worker's comp.
Speaking of worker's comp, it seems to have simply become a COST, rather than an important part of the working life. I'm very worried about that.

Does that answer some of your question?

Posted by: pibor on Oct 09, 03 | 2:40 pm

Let's not forget that after failing to get a visa for Waldheim to attend his wedding, Arnold instead raised a glass at the reception in honor of his friend who could not make it. The visa was denied by the State Department because of then-Prime Minister of Austria Waldheim's proven past in the Nazi Party.

Also, back before Enron went belly-up, Arnold used to attend the same small meetings of big-time GOP backers with, you guessed it, Kenny-boy himself. How long do you think before California's lawsuit "goes away" before key people can be publically deposed?

Posted by: Slothrop on Oct 09, 03 | 4:17 pm

Most people in this country think the Energy debacle in California was because of 'Environmentalist Wackos' not letting them build power plants, not power deregulation written by the power industry and Pete Wilson(California's previous Republican Gov). They gamed the market, there was always enough power, but they created shortfalls in order to affect the prices. But most Americans believe it was 'whackos'. AM radio goes off the hook slamming environmentalists. I used to listen to alot of that stuff just for 'fun'.

anyway Arnold is not exactly leadership material, but then again who knows how Grey Davis got to be governor.

I wouldn't go too far with Arnold/Nazi connection..

Now the same people that wrote the Cal power deregulation in Pete Wilson's administration will be making decisions for Swartzenegger.

Ooh a Populist Revolt.

If there was a photo of anyone in the Democratic party smoking a joint, participaing in group sex and all the other dirt then there'd be a field day of accusations of how 'Character Matters'. Well I guess it doesn't if you deliver a big business agenda.

Plus, I think all the movies he's ever made are boring. And worse, the 'Action Hero' ones focus on vengance, the lone guy with the gun, etc. promote cartoonish violence as a way to solve problems. Good for a 1.5 hour movie plot. Bad for the rest of us here in reality.

But, no, I don't think Arnold will affect my life in a negative way. But, we may have overtime taken away from me at my brand new hourly job if Bush get's his way.

That said I think he's actually pro-legalization of drugs, pro-civil unions, but a kiss ass to big business like the rest so it shouldn't be much different.

And it's just irritating to see a cartoon be elected after Darryl Issa (he's the voice on car alarms - 'STEP BACK FROM THE CAR' you know) paid professional signature gatherers to gather the votes. Recalls have been attempted 100 times in California, but nowhere have they had ideological backers like that throwing their money around to make it happen. Good lord.

Posted by: evil-barry on Oct 09, 03 | 7:13 pm

Too bad for you. Sorry.

I didn't want to see him win, either.

Posted by: Jacques Vanderdreschd on Oct 09, 03 | 7:52 pm

He [Schwarzenegger] disputed Democratic suggestions that he was anti-immigrant, saying, "I love Mexico. I've done four movies down there." - L.A. Times, Sept. 8, 2003

Posted by: pibor on Oct 10, 03 | 12:08 pm

Mort:

"I wouldn't go too far with Arnold/Nazi connection.."

Why, those rumors I repeated are hardly new, and the sources innumerable and easily googled. My question is simply: why aren't Californian's interested in his Nazi sympathizing?

JT

Posted by: Slothrop on Oct 10, 03 | 12:18 pm

I think you both have a point; there is a Nazi connection, even if only because he was tainted with it by simple fact of having been brought up in Austria by a Nazi father. But it seems that he has kept the connection more alive than it naturally was (Waldheim, Hitler quote).

That being said, I don't think that Californians are ignoring it; the press isn't. AS certainly isn't, or he wouldn't have publically addressed the Nazi quote. I just think most people are willing to believe his renouncements.

It's something to be factored in; some weigh it more heavily than others, and I think that is appropriate.

Posted by: Jacques Vanderdreschd on Oct 10, 03 | 2:48 pm

> why aren't Californian's interested in his Nazi sympathizing?

Don't know. good question. He overcame the 'gropeinator' alligations too.

Here's a bit from a fox news story, interestingly enough:

Asked who his heroes were, he answered, "I admired Hitler, for instance, because he came from being a little man with almost no formal education, up to power. I admire him for being such a good public speaker and for what he did with it."

He is quoted as saying he wished he could have "the feeling like Kennedy had, you know, to speak to maybe 50,000 people at one time and having them cheer, or like Hitler in the Nuremberg stadium. And have all those people scream at you and just being total agreement whatever you say."
Schwarzenegger, with wife Maria Shriver (search) at his side, told a late-night news conference at Los Angeles' Century Plaza Hotel that he didn't recall making the reported Hitler remarks.

"I don't remember any of those comments because I always despise everything that Hitler stood for," Schwarzenegger said, calling Hitler a "disgusting villain."

Posted by: evil-barry on Oct 10, 03 | 6:24 pm

Notify me when someone replies to this post?

Powered by pMachine